Excerpt from Unlawful Intrusion



Feeling the blood crusted against the side of my face, my hand reaches up, my fingers feeling the swollen pounding knot on my upper head.  

Struggling to sit upwards, the stench hits me.  Human crap, must be years worth of it.  My eyes slowly gaze around, the walls must be over a hundred years old, the color of muddy mildew, and the feel of it as well.  There doesn’t seem to be filtered air in here.  In the corner sits a tarnishing steel toilet.  The room must be no bigger than eight by eight feet, with a small window exposing the outside world.  The cold damp construction brings my thoughts to think that this building must have been built back in the later 1900’s to look and feel like this.  It must have been one of the detention centers that received the funding cuts during the earlier 2000’s.

Weakly, I stand against the wall, stepping onto the bed, my nose lifting above the overhanging lip of the small barred window, peering out.  The cylindrical lightning conductors enlighten the tops of each building with its fluorescent flashing glow streaking brilliant colors above the city top’s night sky.  The sun absorbing skyscrapers tower several stories high against the imprisoning institution, nearly touching it.  Tower after tower of sky scraping buildings, storying over four hundred floors, intertwine and connect with one another with small alleys occasionally separating one from the other.  Some people could travel from their homes, to their food market, to their jobs without ever stepping outside.  Interconnected throughout the city, spiral towering rail systems encased in the same non-reflective solar absorbing alloy, shuttling the mass amounts of inner city dwellers from several points throughout the city of Seattle.  As I peer through the encaging barred window, a single mechanized butterfly flaps its wings, hovering in the air.  Its shimmering wings hold my gaze as if putting me into a slight trance.

“Pst...Pst.”

I crawl down near the rusting bars, onto the cold cemented floor. “Are you calling me?”  Whispering my words to be found on the opposite side of the wall.

“My name is Jay.  What’s yours?”

“Umm...”  What does this guy want. 

“Listen, just do what they tell you to...”